Food Toxic to Dogs
Some human foods that should not be consumed by dogs include:
Intoxicating Beverages, Such as Beer, Wine, Spirits:
Consumption of these beverages may lead to coma or possibly death.
Symptoms of alcoholic beverage overdose may include, excitement,
depression, sadness, stumbling, cardiac arrest, and death.
Chocolate, Tea, Coffee, Coffee Beans:
Their content of caffeine, theophylline, or theobromine affects the
nervous system and the heart. Chocolate overdose symptoms may include,
excessive panting, hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, irregular
heartbeat, and death.
Kidney failure may be caused by an unknown toxin which is present
in grapes in raisins. Syptoms of poisening from grapes or raisins may
include abdominal pain, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, and a halt in the
production of urine. Ingestion by your pet may be fatal and even cause
An unknown toxin present in macadamia nuts may experience undesired
affects of the nervous and digestive systems. They may also have
negative affects on muscles. Symptoms may include muscle tremors,
stiffness, weakness, sadness, gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, and
Onions and Garlic contain contain substances which damage red blood
cells. Symptoms include, anemia, lethargy, weakness, discolored urine,
diarrhea, and vomiting. Processed, fresh, cooked, and powdered forms
should be avoided.
Different mushrooms contain different toxins which affect several
body systems. Symptoms may include, abdominal pain, shock, kidney
failure, liver failure, hallucinations, diarrhea, vomiting, coma, and
Prevention is the key, keeping these foods away from your pet to
avoid possible toxic poisoning and overdose. If your dog is suspected
of eating any of these foods get them to a veterinarian immediately.
By Lillian White