Ten Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
As a dog owner, we all want what’s best for our dog. With the newest reports about the proper diet for your dog, they should have carbohydrates, vegtables, etc., more and more dog owners are giving their dog table scraps without realizing that there are certain foods a dog should never have. Before you put your left-overs in your dog’s bowl be sure to read the top ten foods they shouldn’t eat.
1. Chocolate – To dogs, chocolate acts as a stimulant, making your dog’s heartbeat accelerate or beat irregularly, leading to seizures and even cardiac arrest. To compound things further, it also acts as a severe diuretic, causing frequent urination, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. If you even suspect your dog has consumed chocolate, take him to an animal hospital immediately.
2. Grapes and Raisins – Grapes and raisins create havoc with your dog’s kidneys and digestive system. What’s worse is that the amount of grapes needed to cause problems can vary greatly among individual dogs. Symptoms include frequent urination, vomiting, and diarrhea.
3. Onions – Onions cause the breakdown of a dog’s red blood cells, which deprives his cells of much-needed oxygen. If you’re in the habit of feeding your dog table scraps, make sure the dish was not prepared with onions, as the effects can be cumulative over a period of time. Symptoms can vary greatly, ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to loss of appetite, fever, or exhaustion.
4. Macadamia Nuts – While the exact chemical compound is still unknown, even a small amount of macadamia nuts can cause fever, irregular heartbeat, seizures, or mild paralysis.
5. Alcoholic Beverages – Dogs’ physiologies are not equipped to handle alcohol consumption. They are extremely susceptible to alcohol poisoning, and even small amounts can lead to digestive problems or even death.
6. Bread Dough – Because it is soft, dogs will often swallow the dough without chewing it. When the dough hits your dog’s stomach, his body heat will cause the dough to rise inside his stomach. This rising action can cause bloating or vomiting. To compound things further, the rising action creates alcohol as a by-product, and your dog may experience the symptoms listed in the previous paragraph.
7. Caffeinated Beverages – Similar to the effects of chocolate, caffeine is a stimulant and can negatively impact your dog’s heart rate, causing seizures or heart attacks.
8. Avocadoes- Avocadoes are toxic to many animals. The offensive chemical damages heart, lung, and other essential tissues. Be aware since guacamole’s main ingredient is avocado, that you keep any such dips well out of your dog’s reach.
9. Pitted Fruits – (Peaches, Pears, Cherries, and Apricots) The pits of these fruits contain small doses of cyanide, which can be fatal to smaller dogs. Also, if the pit is swallowed whole, it may become lodged in the intestinal tract, where the blockage will have to be surgically removed.
10. Raw Fish – Raw fish, especially salmon, can contain parasites, usually fluke larvae. The dog consumes the fish, and the larvae hatch in your dog’s digestive tract, attaching themselves to his intestinal walls. Symptoms can take up to a week to exhibit and usually mimic other canine diseases, such as distemper or parvovirus. The hazard here is misdiagnosis by the veterinarian, leading to an improper or ineffective treatment. If you choose to feed your dog fish, be sure to cook it thoroughly to kill any bad critters that could be hiding inside.
This is of vital information for your dog care. If you want your dog to have the proper diet, take a small amount of what your making before you add the onions and the extra spices and make him up his own little plate and add it with his dog food.
Remember a good dog is a happy and healthy dog.
By Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson is highly respected in her community for her knowledge about dog care. She also owns http://www.tailwaggingprices.com . Pet supply store at discounted prices. While your at the website be sure to join her free newsletter for vital information on dog care. Also, you will be automatically entered into the monthly prize drawing.